Color Mixing in Watercolor Weekend Intensive
FEBRUARY 24 & 25Regular price $275.00
TOTAL COST: $275
Course Fee: $275
Materials: Student-provided (see Supply Info below)
DATES: SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24 & SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2024
TIME: 10:00AM - 3:00PM PST
LEVEL: Beginner to Intermediate
AGE GROUP: Adult (ages 18+), Youth (ages 15-17)
LOCATION: Building 306, Fort Worden, Port Townsend. (COVID protocol will be observed, read our policies here)
Watercolor can be powerful! Join teaching artist Catherine Gill and learn to think about color and how to strengthen it with mixing techniques that are easy to use, foster clean color, good values, and support one another with their placement. First, you will learn to mix colors on the palette in a trail to produce a range of related hues. Then you'll learn to make distinctions in the thicknesses of paint and water, and to fine-tune your pigment choice. Finally, you'll learn to make color change in every shape while not losing the value, how to adjust your brushwork and amount of water, and how to place these colors with their complements.
Intrigued? Cathe hopes so, it’s powerful! This workshop is intended for watercolorists wanting to get off to a good start, as well as for intermediate artists wanting to review their basic color and mixing skills.
- Brushes: 1″ flat & #10 or #12 round.
- Paper: Arches 140 lb. cold press (2 sheets).
- Watercolor Pigments: 9 basic pigments needed, others are optional but good to have.
- Rose Madder Genuine (W/Newton)
- Cadmium Red
- Permanent Rose
- Aureolin Yellow
- Cadmium Yellow
- Quinachrodone Gold
- Cobalt Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Pthalo (Winsor) Blue (Cathe uses Red Shade)
- Optional: Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Turquoise Light, Dioxazine, Violet, Permanent (Winsor) Orange, Quinachrodone Burnt Orange, Burnt Sienna (Winsor Newton), Pthalo (Winsor) Green (Cathe uses Blue Shade), Viridian, Cobalt Turquoise.
Miscellaneous Supplies: board to support watercolor paper, masking tape, sketchbook or notebook, pencil and kneaded eraser, two water containers, covered watercolor palette with large mixing area, paper towels or sponge (these miscellaneous supplies are available at the art school for you to use if you don't prefer to bring your own).
After registration, course details are available via the Northwind Art School learning portal, including course syllabus and supply information. Learn more
Catherine Gill paints and teaches on location, in watercolor, oil, and pastel, and is also a printmaker. Her art, workshops, videos, and DVDs can be viewed on her website. Cathe is co-founder of Art Partners International, dedicated to bringing together artists and art of different cultures. She is a member of Northwest Watercolor Society, Women Painters of Washington, Plein Air Painters of Washington, Seattle CoArts, Seattle Print Arts and Print Arts NW. Her book, "Powerful Watercolor Landscapes," is available as an e-book through Penguin/Random House.
Artist website: Catherine Gill, @cathe_gill
This course is eligible for a 10% member discount at the Supporter level and beyond. Get a membership today!
Quimper Mercantile and Don's Pharmacy offer Northwind Art School students a 10% discount on art supplies.
If you cannot attend a course for any reason, we can offer you a refund as follows:
- If you cancel more than 2 weeks before the course start date, you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 2 weeks before course start date, you will receive a 50% refund.
- If you cancel one week or less before the course start date, there will be no refund.
All refunds will be applied to the same credit card that was used for enrollment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.