Collaborative Abstract Painting Art Date with your p"ART"ner!
October 7Regular price $100.00
TOTAL COST: $100
Course Fee: $100 (for the pARTicipant duo!)
Materials: Materials are student-provided, see Supply Info below
DATE: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2023
TIME: 12:00PM – 2:30PM PDT
LEVEL: Beginner to Advanced
AGE GROUP: Adult (ages 18+), Youth (ages 15-17)
LOCATION: Building 306, Fort Worden, Port Townsend. (COVID protocol will be observed, read our policies here)
Get together with your pARTner for an art date and create a collaborative abstract painting together! Invite a spouse, sweetheart, friend, sibling, or whoever you feel like connecting with through art to join you in an art date centered around letting go of expectations, walking in with fresh, open minds and hearts, and having fun with spontaneous creative play.
Together you will experience an art workout of sorts. This includes quality active creative time together to dabble in and find out what expressive abstract painting is. You will use a variety of unusual tools for painting and for mark making. The atmosphere of this workshop will be creatively charged and energetic. Partners will work together to make a painting, exercising their joint creative decision-making skills as they work through the composition, color choices, expression and application of stroke, texture of medium, etc.
The full session is guided by Neha Panicker, who will set the pace and provide prompts so the duo can take turns making marks in response. The prompts will nudge each partner toward adding to or disrupting from each other's marks-- helping the duo express, respond to, and layer upon their partner's marks with their own.
Surprise yourself and each other, get to know each other better, build confidence, and by the end of the session you'll have a joint abstract painting you created together!
This class is for a partner duo. Materials listed are shared by both.
- Surface: One canvas size 16" x 20" or 18" x 24".
- Paints: Any acrylic paints already on hand, preferably high flow acrylic paints. Acrylic inks, any other colored or black inks.
- Any drawing and coloring art materials already on hand like markers, pastels, colored pencils, and charcoal sticks (many of these are available at the school for use if you don't have your own to bring).
- Tools: bring any objects/items that you imagine will make good tools for mark making. Tools can be hard, flexible, soft or rough (e.g. silicone wedge, palette knives, different textured fabric rags, unusual brushes, squeegees, scrub pad, sponge).
After registration, course details are available via the Northwind Art School learning portal. Learn more
Neha Panicker is an architect turned artist, currently based in Seattle, originally from India. Her artistic language and art practice are greatly inspired by her
multi-dimensional, multi-cultural contexts. Mindfulness and bringing the authentic self to the act of making is at the core of her work. Her artistic explorations are an active exercise in being present in the act of making. She experiments with analog visual art mediums, different tools, varying scales, mixed media, and body movement in mark making. Using abstract art and collaborative creative play as an instrument in expanding self awareness and interconnection, is the essence of what she is bringing together in this workshop.
Artist website: Neha Panicker, @nehapanix.art
This course is eligible for a 10% member discount at the Supporter level and beyond. Get a membership today!
Quimper Mercantile and Don's Pharmacy offer Northwind Art School students a 10% discount on art supplies.
If you cannot attend a course for any reason, we can offer you a refund as follows:
- If you cancel more than 2 weeks before the course start date, you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 2 weeks before course start date, you will receive a 50% refund.
- If you cancel one week or less before the course start date, there will be no refund.
All refunds will be applied to the same credit card that was used for enrollment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.