Intro to Zine Making: The Art of Informal Publishing
OCTOBER 9, 16 & 23Regular price $130.00
TOTAL COST: $130
Course Fee: $100
Materials: $30 (Some materials are student-provided, see Supply Info below)
DATE: MONDAY, OCTOBER 9, 16 & 23, 2023
TIME: 6:00PM – 8:00PM PDT
LEVEL: Beginner to Advanced
AGE GROUP: Adult (ages 18+)
LOCATION: Building 306, Fort Worden, Port Townsend. (COVID protocol will be observed, read our policies here)
Zines (small, folded and stapled books) are the best and worst of the book making arts. Zines are infinitely accessible, often weird, often radical, often innovative, always transient and temporary, hyper-localized works of art. Both gutter and mountaintop, zines are a great way to play in print, try out ideas, and build community.
In this class, Conner Bouchard-Roberts will guide you in making zines from idea to physical form, going over techniques, and theories and the necessity of playful collaboration. You will learn everything you need to bring your zine/print dreams to fruition. Bring your wildest ideas to try and get into print!
Class one: Cultivation of ideas and gathering inspirations.
Class two: Curation, writing, and designing.
Class three: Creation, printing, assembly and celebration.
Please note that this course will most probably require some artistic work outside of class time.
- Included in the cost of the class each participant will get 20 copies of their own zine, a copy of each of their classmates’ zines, and a Riso printed cover for their zine (if so desired).
- Students need access to a laptop that can run a word processor. Even more preferably a laptop that can run Adobe Indesign. However, zines can be made without a computer, if you’re feeling clever!
After registration, course details are available via the Northwind Art School learning portal. Learn more
Conner Bouchard-Roberts is a writer, gardener, and book designer living in qatay/Port Townsend. Winter texts is their publishing practice.
Artist website: Conner Bouchard-Roberts
This course is eligible for a 10% member discount at the Supporter level and beyond. Get a membership today!
Quimper Mercantile and Don's Pharmacy offer Northwind Art School students a 10% discount on art supplies.
If you cannot attend a course for any reason, we can offer you a refund as follows:
- If you cancel more than 2 weeks before the course start date, you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 2 weeks before course start date, you will receive a 50% refund.
- If you cancel one week or less before the course start date, there will be no refund.
All refunds will be applied to the same credit card that was used for enrollment. Please contact email@example.com for more information.